Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Basics of God's Will

"Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus."
                  1 Thessalonians 5:16-17

If you're like me, at one point in your life, you've probably tried to get into shape. You research different kinds of workout programs and meals plans to find the perfect one for you.  You watch the interviews of people who have successfully toned, sculpted and transformed their bodies.  You tell yourself that you can do this and look forward to the end result.

But what happens if you only do part of the program? If you ignore the meal plans, or only workout out 2 days a week versus the 6 days that are recommended, will your body get the results that are promised in the program?  Probably not.

Our walk with God is kind of like that too.  We so often search for God's will in our life. We read all the books.  (Just for fun, I went to christianbooks.com and typed in "God's will" in the search bar and got 14,815 results.)

Like physical fitness, searching for spiritual fitness is something sought after and researched. But as I studied the verses from 1 Thessalonians that are quoted above, something stood out to me.  This verse tells us what God's will is for all followers of Christ.  It is to be joyful, never stop praying and be thankful in all circumstances. 

But like physical fitness, we want to shortcuts.  We want to skip steps and get the same end results. We are thankful in most circumstances, joyful sometimes (if our kids are being good and the sun is shining), but only pray in front of others.  Yet, we get so frustrated when God doesn't seem to be moving in our life the way we expect. 

Doesn't that give you a fresh perspective on being thankful, prayerful and joyful?  It does for me. As much as I enjoy books and studies on learning and following God's will for my life, I'm going to get back to the basics and make the following the theme for my days:  "Erin, always be joyful.  Erin, never stop praying. Erin, be thankful in all circumstances. Erin, this is God's will for you.  Erin belongs to Christ Jesus."  Thanks to Melissa Taylor from Proverbs 31 ministries online bible studies for issuing this challenge :)

5 comments:

  1. Very well said and very well written. We have to work to stay healthy!

    Love it!
    Melissa S OBS Leader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post today Erin! Thanks for sharing. That verse touched my heart, I took the challenge and I blogged about that too. Debbie W. (OBS Leader)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, What a fantastic analogy. I think we can all relate to this perspective. Thanks for making it "real" for us. I just love reading your blogs!

    -Erin Cuomo, OBS Group Leader

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great comparison--I could totally relate to this! I, too, felt my attitude revolutionized by the challenge to take that text and put my name in it. It made me so much more aware of the opportunities I had to be joyful and thankful AND it made me very aware of how many times I turned my back on joyfulness and thankfulness.

    ReplyDelete