Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Lord Is My Portion



Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."
                     Lamentations 3:22-24




Do you ever wake up in the morning and wonder how you are going to make it through the day? What you do you? Do you pull the covers back over your head or take a deep breathe and let your feet hit the floor?

For me, there are so many days when the lure of my pillow would be my choice. But what would happen to the three little people who need breakfast? What would happen to the laundry that is piled up in my laundry room? And the emails...garbage...exercise? That list of things that "need" my attention is most of the time what makes me want to stay in bed.

I have to be honest with you. I am scared to death of failing and not completing my to do list. Why? Because somewhere along the way, I found my idenity in being the responsible and reliable person that everyone depends on. And the saddest part is that everything I do is accomplished in my own strength.

The verses from Lamentations that I have quoted above are part of the message from Lysa TerKeurst in "Made to Crave" this week and have really stopped me in my tracks this week. Is The Lord truly my portion for today or am I seeking to do things that give me a sense of fulfillment only to have tomorrow morning be another battle for my sanity? When was the last time His love was enough to fill me so that I am not consumed by the fear of failure?

Honestly, I don't remember. Isn't that sad? And I don't have any quick fix answers other than to make a choice to focus on The Lord. He is what I need today and everyday. He is what you need too, my friend.

So tomorrow when my alarm goes off, I'm going to take a deep breathe, thank The Lord for his blessings and ask Him to lead me in my day.

4 comments:

  1. Amen! Great thoughts today Erin. The LORD is our portion...I want to run to him instead of doing it in my own strength! Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Start the day by looking to be (ful)filled by God and not my coffee - Reaching for my Bible before my mug of coffee...hmmm...I am challenged, sister! Thank you <3 Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great is His Faithfulness! It is new every morning and every morning our slate is wiped clean and fresh. I enjoyed your message. Love and Blessings. Carolyn ~ OBS Small Group 12

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I really struggle with this, too! I have my list of things that must be accomplished and measure myself against that, instead of what God has placed on my heart. This study is teaching me more about that important issue than anything else. Great post, Erin--I loved it!

    ReplyDelete