Thursday, January 23, 2014

Yearning for God Only



My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of The Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.
              Psalms 84:2 NIV


Have you ever had to list your priorities? For some reason, I hate having to do those type of things. I'm not really sure why. Maybe because sometimes when I list what my priorities are, I come face to face with where I'm failing. I always put God at the top of my list, but most of the time it's because that's what I know I should do, but doesn't mean I actually live it.

As I started the latest Proverbs 31 Online Bible Study, "Made to Crave" by Lysa TerKeurst, earlier this week, I've been boldly confronted and convicted with how messed up my priorities are. I have realized that not all areas of my life are being centered around God, mainly the area of food, which Lysa deals with in her book.

I have learned that I center too much of my food struggles around what I can or cannot accomplish. And base my own self-worth on what the number on the scale is. When I lose a pound, I don't give God the glory, I usually just pat myself on the back for working hard and eating better this week, and neglect to acknowledge that He gave me the time, strength and energy and provided that healthy food for me. But when I gain a pound, or five, I mentally badger myself, tearing myself down. I really should be turning my failures over to God and accepting His grace of getting to try again.

But the biggest thing I have learned, and what I ultimately want to make my goal for this study, is that the numbers on the scale are not what I want to change, but my heart needs to change. You see, the battle raging in my heart needs to stop. I need to not just make God #1 in my heart, but my ONLY god. If he isn't the only god, I am still not loving Him with my whole heart, and that is not what He deserves.

The verse from Psalms 84:2 is such a wonderful description of what I want to be my heart's cry. I want to yearn to be resting in the victories of God in my life, because He has already won my battle over food. He has won my battle over material things. He has won my battle to be noticed. I just need to accept His victory and live with Him guiding my every move, moment by moment and craving by craving. The cravings of my heart disguised as good things are really the temptations that Satan is using, trying to pull my focus off of my Lord.

If you are joining me in this journey of focusing everything on The Lord, that is great! I'd love to hear about it. If you haven't yet made that commitment, what's holding you back?

5 comments:

  1. Erin, this was so good! I love what you said about God having already won our battles for us and we just need to accept His victory. Such a honor to know you and serve with you! Love, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl...priorities were something God strongly convicted me of last year and I found such freedom in re-prioritizing. This is such a constant struggle though and I greatly appreciated your reminder and authenticity today. Thank you for blessing me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing post, Erin! When I list out my priorities, I, like you, always put God at the top of the list, but I have also found in just the first week of this study is that He really isn't what I'm focused on like I should be. Yikes. It's okay, we can fix that! I'm so glad you posted this because a lot what you said is exactly what I'm thinking. The part I loved most was this: "I want to yearn to be resting in the victories of God in my life, because He has already won my battle over food. He has won my battle over material things. He has won my battle to be noticed. I just need to accept His victory and live with Him guiding my every move, moment by moment and craving by craving." Amen, sister! I'm praying that you will keep your focus on the Lord not just during this study, but permanently, letting Him guide you and really be your top priority. Love you, sister!

    Blessings and love,
    Christina (Proverbs 31 OBS Small Group Leader)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this blog. I agree with Sue my favorite line was about God having already won our battles for us and we just need to accept His victory. I need to cling to this truth today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your words have moved me and resonated so much with me. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete