Wednesday, November 6, 2013

For Me Or Against Me




If God is for us, who can be against us?
               Romans 8:31b



"I am never going to be a good enough ____________."

If you're like me, you've filled in that blank more times than you can count. And more often than I like to admit, I'm comparing myself to someone else. Someone more virtuous, more graceful, more beautiful, more...

As I read Chapter 6 in A Confident Heart by Renee Swope, I was challenged to replace all of these statements against myself, or AM, that doubt whispers to me on a daily basis with statements for me, or FM. The FM statements are God's promises to me.

At first I thought, I don't need to do this. I know enough of His promises to me and have the knowledge of when to apply them. But then I had to stop. Obviously I wasn't applying God's promises FM because I was still facing many doubts on a daily, if not hourly, basis.

As I sat down to write out my AM/FM statements, I thought of my daughters. They love to dress up in princess dresses and will often come twirl for me. They will occasionally ask "Am I beautiful, Mommy?" And I rave over how beautiful the are, but I also work really hard at explaining to them that what makes them beautiful is not what they wear, but who they are and how they treat others.

At that moment, God whispered to me,"Don't you think I want you to know the truth about what makes you beautiful? Don't you think that I want you to dwell on my promises and not the lies doubt tells you? I want to show you how much I value you."

Those thoughts from God changes my perspective on the AM/FM statements. So here are some my AM/FM statements.



When doubt tells me that I'll never be good enough, I will cling to the promise that God will complete the good work He started in me. (Philippians 1:6)

When I feel like no one likes me, I will remember that I have been chose by God and adopted as His child. (Ephesians 1:3-8)

When I feel like I'll never be the Christian that I feel I need to be to please God, I will trust that I am free from condemnation and cannot be separated from God's love. (Romans 8:1-2, 31-39)



The same way I want only good things to fill the minds of my chldren about who they are and what truly matters, God wants me to remember His Truths and do away with the doubts of this world.

Who am I?

I am a precious and chosen child of the King. If God is for me, then no one can be against me.

So who are you?

7 comments:

  1. Erin thank you for this great post. I'm almost in tears thinking you are me talking. I like what you said here" I am a precious and chosen child of the King. If God is for me, then no one can be against me." I am reading "Undaunted by Christine Caine" and just the few chapters she emphasis that we are chosen before we were even born. A Confident heart is really speaking to me .May you realized how great and precious and beautiful you are and that God uses you to touch other for His glory.
    Marilyn (OBS Group Leader)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this - and thanks for sharing! Particularly your reference to Romans 8 - one of the most powerful chapters in the Bible, in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE love love what God spoke to you - wow! His insights are so amazing. Nothing better than when he reaches down and speaks right to our hearts. Hugs.

    Billie (OBS group leader)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, just beautiful! I love your heart for Jesus dear sister. What you are doing for your daughters will make a lot of difference in them as women too! Thank you for the reminders in the verses you used. They are perfect truth! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Erin! @JenniferSikes4

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad I am subscribed to your blog--you always encourage me!

    ReplyDelete