Friday, April 19, 2013

Blah Days

Do you ever go through times in your life when you feel like the blah version of yourself? Oh you continue on like nothing is really wrong and put on a good front for others to see, but in your head, you know that things aren't quite right.

And deep down, you know why things aren't right. Your relationship with God isn't your priority. You've let it slip down a few notches.  Even if you get around to reading your Bible, the words seem hollow. And your prayers? They become something you say by routine, if you bother to pray at all.

So what next. You know you have a problem; how do you fix it.  Some people would say to just "buck up" or "just get through it".  In my opinion, that's when you become numb to God and it your blah days can turn into blah years.

There was a time in my life when I was good at going through the motions. Good at covering up when I felt blah.  But that was a time in my life when I didn't have people in my life who I would trust enough to tell all my struggles too. Because let's face it, during those blah times, aren't you glad that those you come in contact with don't have ESP. So now, thanks to where God has led me in my life, I have close friends and family who I can be real with.  Real about all the internal struggles.  Who will pray with me when I can't find the words.

Now those blah times are much fewer and far between. But occasionally, they do come back. And I don't think they are always a bad thing. Because there is one thing that runs through my head during my blah days, "Is this what it's like without God?"  My blah days, I truly feel, are allowed my God to reveal to me how my neighbour who doesn't know him feels. It gives me a fresh perspective on the daily life of an unbeliever and how struggling through a day on my own strength without God feels.

So next time you have a day where you feel God is far away, remember that there is someone who lives that way every day and needs to hear about Jesus Christ.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Erin - God bless your heart friend. What a beautiful and real perspective to something we all feel from time to time. I want you to know that I love you and I am praying for you as you are preparing for you bundle of joy!

    Psalm 139

    1 You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.
    2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
    3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
    4 Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.
    5 You hem me in behind and before,
    and you lay your hand upon me.
    6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
    7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
    Where can I flee from your presence?
    8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
    if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
    9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    if I settle on the far side of the sea,
    10 even there your hand will guide me,
    your right hand will hold me fast.
    11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
    and the light become night around me,”
    12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
    the night will shine like the day,
    for darkness is as light to you.

    God is always with you Erin, even when you feel far away.
    Erin Cuomo, OBS Group Leader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, your words resonated with me. Thank you for speaking from your heart. God bless you!

    Breanna, OSB Facebook Leader

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin,
    WOW. WOW. WOW. I just had a blah couple of weeks and I never even thought that this is what it feels like without God. You have no idea how bad I needed to hear that. What a wonderful post.I am praying for your blah days to be even fewer in between and I am praying that everyone who reads your blog grasps how important it is to spread the Gospel to someone who has too many blah days. Thank you so very much for this reminder. Love and prayers, sweet sister.
    Kristy Aiken (OBS Group Leader)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh so true - great blog - thank you for being honest - so many need to hear these exact words - so that they don't become stuck - in blah; but rest and get in the Word and worship-
    it is a blessing to have someone you can trust to let into your life that won't judge but listen and give insight...helps a lot doesn't it?!?

    - life w/o Him - would be so much worse than blah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing!! I experience blah days as well and like Kristy said, I never thought about being what others feel without God! I hope your blah days get better! Hugs and prayers

    Kris D. (OBS Small Group Leader)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin, I have had those blah days and weeks and they were usually the times I became complacent and didn"t take time to have a quiet time and then wondered why. Thanks for sharing something we all experience from time to time. I am so glad that I took my first OBS "unglued and continued on. Still can have them but understand what can be done to correct it.
    Take care my friend,praying for you and your family as you wait the arrival of your new bundle of joy in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your heart! ah yes, totally understand this place you describe. Many days I am totally blah - for me it feels like a pit that I just can't seem to crawl out of - but ya know what -when we are in this place we must reach out to our Heavenly Father- pray, REALLY PRAY! Read His promises, and surround ourselves with him completely - there really isn't any other answer!!! Happy to hear that this does not occur often and that when it does you recognize it's because you have distanced yourself from God....that my friend is wisdom! Wisdom you can share with others!! HUGS! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete